List of GFA Presidents from 1957 to date
1. Mr. Ohene Djan 1957–60
2. Mr. H. P. Nyametei 1960–66
3. Nana Fredua Mensah 1966–70
4. Mr. Henry Djaba 1970–72
5. Maj. Gen. R. E. A. Kotei 1972–73Col.
6. Brew-Graves 1973–75
7. Maj. George Lamptey 1975–77
8. Maj. D. O. Asiamah 1977–79
9. Mr. I. R. Aboagye 1979
10. Mr. Samuel Okyere 1979–80
11. Mr. S. K. Mainoo 1980–82
12. Mr. Zac Bentum 1982–83
13. Mr. L. Ackah-Yensu 1983–84
14. Mr. L. T. K. Caesar 1984
15. Mr. E. O. Teye 1984–86
16. Mr. Samuel Okyere 1986–90
17. Mr. Awuah Nyamekye 1990–92
18. Mr. Joe Lartey 1992–93
19. Mr. Samuel Brew-Butler 1993–97
20. Alhaji M. N. D. Jawula 1997–2001
21. Mr. Ben Koufie 2001–03
22. Dr. N. Nyaho-Tamakloe 2004–05
23. Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi 2005–18
24. Mr.Kurt Okraku 2019-2023
The 2019 GFA presidential election which was held at the College of Physicians and Surgeons – Accra, took an unexpected turn as the election went into a runoff. Meanwhile, Amanda Clinton and George Ankomah Mensah who scored the humble number “0” were automatically disqualified.
The election was contested by six strong candidates but the main battle was obviously between George Afriyie and CEO of Dreams Football Club Kurt Okraku.
During the first round of voting, Mr. Kurt Okraku courted a total of 44 votes as opposed to George Afriyie’s 40 votes and Nana Yaw Amponsah’s 27. This forced the election to round two since no one secured the maximum vote of 50 plus 1% to get a one touch victory.
The second round, was contested by only three candidates notably Mr. Kurt Okraku, George Afriyie and Nana Yaw Amponsah after Fred Pappoe conceded to defeat after scoring just 6 votes.
Later on, Mr. Kurt Okraku secured 59 votes to emerge the winner after George Afriyie conceded defeat.
Kurt E.S. Okraku now succeeds “disgraced” Kwasi Nyantakyi as the new GFA president.
By: Joshua N.A. Botchway